Title: RE: saving emails

Sorry, missed your solution in there.  How do you perform the audits?  This is good stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: Clark, Steve [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 6:28 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: saving emails

Email on the corporate network is property of the corporation - there are
several intellectual property cases both in/ out of the courts that back
that statement. It is part of the administrators function to monitor
services and content belonging to the company as directed by owners. As part
of most company's employee handbook or corporate policy it simply states -
all information transmitted through the corporation's network belongs to the
corporation. It is not a privacy issue, it is a policy issue.

I monitor several small companies and periodically will audit outbound email
for a specific period to determine the legitimacy of use. Often times during
these audits, I locate users who spend countless hours of the company's
resources having conversations with friends and relatives as well as passing
joke email (can you say ILOVEYOU?). I have even caught one user sending
confidential information to a competitor and another user sending MP3's to
himself (600+ Mb over period of a week). Since it is my job to track these
items, I regularly perform these audits as part of my consulting services.

The problem with a snapshot in time monitor is that it is only a moment in
time. Having an automated process that dumps in/out email and then allows a
cursory review is an excellent option for companies that deal with
confidential information.

Personally, I have not adopted either the journaling option or setting up
something else (William - BCC was the suggestion was it not). It is however,
completely within a company's rights to review information coming in/ going
out of it's network as a matter of policy.

My experience, my $.02.

Steve Clark
Clark Systems Support, LLC
AVIEN Charter Member