From: Richard Dodsworth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 4:45 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM

After adding a new Exchange server to my existing site, I get the above
error message when trying to duplicate a mailbox from one of the old
servers to the new under the following circumstances:
Exchange Admin on a WS connected to the new server gets the error.
Exchange Admin on a WS connected to the old server does not get the error.
Exchange Admin on the new server connected to the new server does not get
the error.
After getting the error message i can Cancel the duplicate mailbox
dialogue, but the mailbox is created and works OK.
I've tried Maximum Diagnostic logging on all Exchange components on both
the old and the new server and there is not a single Error message in the
Event Log and as far as I can see, the few warning messages had nothing to
do with the error.
I have since discovered that I can take an incremental backup of the
Exchange directory, but not the Private Information Store - again no error
messages in the event log. I can take a Full backup of both with no
problems. I use Tivoli Data Protection for Exchange and this returns the
message
09/19/2001 20:23:51 Backup of storage group Information Store failed.
09/19/2001 20:23:51 ACN5350E An unknown Exchange API error has occurred.
Has anybody any idea of where I should start looking for the source of the
problem(s)?
The old servers are all running NT4 Sp6a, Exchange 5.5 sp3. The new is
running W2K Sp2, Exchange 5.5 sp3. I have tried with Exchange 5.5 sp4 on a
WS admin with the same result.

List Charter and FAQ at:

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above. This e-mail may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the named
addressee, you are not authorized to retain, read, copy or disseminate this
message or any part of it. In addition, you are hereby notified that any
use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this communication is
strictly prohibited.

The sender of this message does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message that arise as a result of e-mail
transmission. This message is provided for informational purposes and should
not be construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities.

Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this

List Charter and FAQ at: