From: Angie Sawyer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 1:01 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: using mailbox manager

Well, I am going to share my beautiful scenario with all of you in hopes that it will prevent someone from doing the same thing.  I learned a valuable lesson about Mailbox Manager and the DumpsterAlwaysOn regkey.

First, the good news is that you can enable the DumpsterAlwaysOn key (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options\DumpsterAlwaysOn=1) after things are deleted in order to retrieve them.  That alone saved my life.

Second, the bad news - don't ever submit a job to Mailbox Manager, then change the settings and click Apply, before the original job has completed.

Here's the story - Enjoy.
We run a job every Monday to clean users sent and deleted items folder of messages over 2 weeks old.  Yesterday, after our scheduled job completed, I decided to use Mailbox Manager to clean one user's mailbox of items in his Inbox over 5 days old.  I changed the settings to reflect the new job and clicked Apply, Clean Now.

After Exchange came back and said that the job was being processed, I changed the Mailbox Manager settings back to run our normally scheduled job for next Monday, clicked Apply.

About 20 minutes later, we started hearing complaints of people getting items deleted out of their Inbox.  I then stopped the Mailbox Manager service, but not until about 700 mailboxes were cleaned this way.

Turns out, that Mailbox Manager does not take a snapshot of the settings when you first run the job, it must continually check them as the job runs...  hence, instead of one user getting his inbox cleaned, all of our users got their inbox cleaned (until I stopped the service).

Great way to start the week, huh?  We solved the issue by running a script that would enable the DumpsterAlwaysOn regkey for those who didn't have it and let the users restore their mail items.

I hope by telling this story, I can prevent at least one person from going through the hell that I did yesterday.

Angie Sawyer

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at: