Aaahhhh...  My bad.  I'm having a b!tch of a time with them right now
running on Outlook XP.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Smallwood [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 11:02 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Retrieval of deleted item from the recycle bin

Don,

Um, that is the same article I sent, but thanks! Now I have it in my sent
item view and inbox!!

 I did read it, perhaps I didn't explain my point well. Hard deleted items
do not go to the deleted items folder, which in fact is the ONLY folder by
default that is covered by deleted item retention.  So without
dumpsteralwayson, there is no option to recover items that do not touch the
deleted items folder (ie hard delete). When you enable DAO,  all folders are
covered, not just deleted items folder. Then, with a nice deleted items
retention policy set on server, you can recover items from all folders. My
point was:

1) poster did not mention anything about hard delete, so this was not a
concern for him.
2) thought that I would mention the hard delete while on the subject, since
it seems that this comes up every time recover deleted items is mentioned
anyway
3) this option should be mentioned so those who are not aware of it, get the
whole picture of deleted item retention policy.
4) see #2

>From the article you re forwarded me that I forwarded the list:

 "By default, the ability to recover deleted items is only enabled on the
 Deleted Items folder in a user's private folders, so items that are "hard
 deleted" cannot be recovered."

Or should I go read this article again ;  ) After all it is Friday, and it
has been a long week.

Pat

                    Don Ely

                    <dely@tripathim       To:     "MS-Exchange Admin Issues"

                    aging.com>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                          cc:

                    10/19/2001            Subject:     RE: Retrieval of
deleted item from the recycle bin
                    10:14 AM

                    Please respond

                    to "MS-Exchange

                    Admin Issues"

EEXXXCCCUUUSSSSEEE ME!!!!

I suggest you read this article...

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q178/6/30.ASP

Actually, hard deleted items cannot be recovered via "recover deleted
items". (original post does not mention hard delete though). Just FYI for
future reference. See:

 By default, the ability to recover deleted items is only enabled on the

 Deleted Items folder in a user's private folders, so items that are "hard

 deleted" cannot be recovered.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q178/6/30.ASP

Pat

                    "Robin Lawrie"

                    <Robin.Lawrie@FRM       To:     "MS-Exchange Admin
Issues"
                    Hedge.com> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                            cc:

                    10/19/2001 08:57        Subject:     RE: Retrieval of
deleted item from the recycle bin
                    AM

                    Please respond to

                    "MS-Exchange

                    Admin Issues"

Items that have been shift-deleted can also be recovered in this way.