Which version of GroupShield?  This was a problem in v.4.0.3.  The only way
to unlock the messages was:

1.  grant myself (as an Administrator, and Exchange Administrator)
permission to the relevant user's mailbox
2.  open the user's mailbox as an additional mailbox within my profile
3.  move the messages to a Personal Folder which I'd set up for the purpose
4.  open the items
5.  close them again
6.  mark them as unread (so the user knows they haven't read them)
7.  move them back to the user's mailbox
8.  ran an on-demand scan of the relevant user's mailbox (just to
double-check ...)
9.  closed the user's mailbox and removed my permission to it.

Karen

List Charter and FAQ at: