Is the firewall between the Exchange and Sendmail servers?  I'd test to be
sure you can telnet to Sendmail from another node on the other side of the
firewall, or even from the Sendmail server itself to verify the SMTP service
is working properly.  If you can do that then it's probably time to start
looking at that firewall.

List Charter and FAQ at: