The exec's "won't put up with it".  So when your Exchange server and all the
exec stuff within suddenly belongs to someone else, you can console them
with the fact that they did once-upon-a-time get their e-mails 2 or 3
seconds (or whatever) faster over their much-preferred configuration.

My apologies to Aaron and all for another no-real-tech-help-but-more-rant
posting.  Just wanted to drop this note since I'm in the process of reading
the book "Hackers Beware" (Eric Cole, SANS Institute) and IMHO the intro and
initial chapters of this book would probably be some good ammo for those
fighting the "good fight" within a management or organizational thought
process that places security concerns at or near the bottom of the priority
list.  The entire book is top notch, but the intro in particular is closer
to "exec-speak"(1).

Get this book (if you can or if you have not already - and there are several
other great sources of info as you know), gather up all the comments like
those from Bruce and the other very knowledgeable admins on this and any
other related lists that you may subscribe to (all the credible answers to
their inevitable "why should we bother" line of questioning), and let your
boss know what a really, really, really bad idea it is to open up your
server like this.  If you have to do it ther way, go down screaming.  I piss
off someone here almost daily by doing the right thing or complaining about
the wrong choices (OK, so I only got a "C" in Organizational Behavior 101
but my conscience is clear and ultimately the users as a whole do benefit).
Strap on the ice-packs and save them from themselves.

I know, easier said than done.  What the hell, a career change now and then
isn't so bad.  BTW, anybody out there hiring? (just kidding - but my ice
packs are melting...)

walkin' the tightrope...
randy.

(1) Further apologies to those very well-informed "execs" who do hold
security in a higher regard (some of whom frequent this list and other
security-realted lists and have helped me out a great deal).

by MailMarshal
For more information please visit www.marshalsoftware.com

List Charter and FAQ at: