My issues with Dell go back to the last time we all slagged off all the
vendors out there. From that thread I know loads of folks have had good
experiences with their Customer Service, but I never have. I have always
had to wait for 20 minutes on hold once I pressed 3 for server support,
only to get someone telling me that I had got through to the wrong
department when I did get a human being.

The other thing someone mentioned, that I have also experienced, is that
when you do have a hardware failure, the get you jump through a million
hoops to avoid what they would call unnecessary service call outs. I
think the person mentioned they had a faulty hard drive, and put the
phone next to the machine so the guy on the phone could hear it
clunking, and he still wanted him to go through all of the diag's. While
I understand the thinking behind this, when you have a server which
needs surgery desperately, going through checkbox 2, list 7 isn't high
on the list of priorities for the customer, especially when it is a no
brainer like a hard disk failure.

We had two Power Edge Servers at my last company, and I never really
liked em (inherited from a predecessor) mainly due to the fact that if
we ever needed any service, the service we got was absolute crap. To be
fair, this was in the UK, where both Dell and Compaq base their head
offices out of Dublin, I have not had dealings with Dell in the states.
I have, however dealt with Compaq in the US, and have found them very
responsive, even to the point of replying to an email posted on their
web site within a couple of hours, which is something I never
experienced with Dell.

As far as IBM is concerned, I have no idea. I have never even seen an
IBM Server in any of the places I have worked.