From: Boswell Tim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 04 December 2001 13:05
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: .biz addresses

Ex55 SP4, NT4 SP6a

I'm having problems with users being unable to send to mail addresses in
the .biz root domain. It seems pretty obvious that somewhere, somethings
not configured to allow .biz through. The problem I have is that every
server in the equation here is looked after by different people, all of
whom say their server is fine, and resolving the DNS/MX without problem.
So here's the
scenario:

NDR: (Names have been changed to protect...something...) C=US;A= ;
P=Exchange ;lSERVER1-011129123354z-5796 ms exchange
:ims:exch:site:SMTPSERVER 3550 (0009009AA)550 5.1.2 unknown host or
domain

SERVER1 - Users mail server
SMTPSERVER - Server with the SMTP connectors/IMS on
MAILHUB - VMS Server where SMTPSERVER sends everything.
After MAILHUB, mail goes through MessageLabs for virus scanning.

SMTPSERVER's admin is saying the NDR is being generated because MAILHUB
isn't correctly configured for .biz root domains, and that SMTPSERVER
does no DNS lookups at all. MAILHUB's admin is saying that Exchange is
delivering the NDR, hence it's exchange that's got the problem.
MessageLabs say they can handle .biz without problems.

I know it's not a lot to go on, but can anyone give me any idea as to
where the problem lies? The problem with my situation is that whoever
has the problem has to do work if they admit it, and blaming someone
else is a lot easier for everyone except me, who has to return to the
users with a fixed email system!

All help, as always, is appreciated

Tim

List Charter and FAQ at: