From: Ritch Roberts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 3:43 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: External Users, Exchange 2000, and Relaying

Before I installed SP1 I did not have the following problem.

I have external users who use Outlook Express to get their mail and use our
server to send messages.  On the SMTP virtual server if I have the radio
button under Relay Restrictions set to "Only the list below" and the check
mark in the "Allow all computers which successfully authenticate..." I get
the following error when trying to send a message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by
the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'. Subject
'', Account: 'mailhost.mobilefarm.com', Server: 'mailhost.mobilefarm.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error
Number: 0x800CCC79

The checkmark "My server requires authentication" in Outlook Express is
filled.

I checked the archives and saw someone suggested putting the IP address of
the server in the "Only the list below" section and this did not help.  I
have tried both the external and internal IP addresses for the server
without luck.

Before I installed SP1 the configuration above worked just fine.  Now the
only way users can send messages is when I change the Relay Restrictions
radio button to "All Except the List below"  Obviously this leaves us open
to abuse.  Any ideas?

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at: