From: Paul Armstrong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 5:47 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exmerge Question

Hello All,

I have a couple of clients who are using InoculateIT (aka EjaculateIT) &
the Exchange Agent and they got infected with the Goner virus last week.
These clients mainly got infected because they didn't have the latest
virus definitions because the virus came out before the definitions were
updated. Anyway, the clients who didn't have the updated virus
definitions were updated and a full scan was performed. On each of these
clients, I noticed it only caught one instance of the Goner virus which
it found in the administrator mailbox. It deleted the attachment but I
noticed there was more than one infected message in that mailbox that it
didn't touch; there were also dozens of other mailboxes with infected
messages that it didn't catch or touch as well. Anyway, my idea was to
use Exmerge to extract all messages with Hi in the subject and with an
attachment of gone.scr. I ran Exmerge and it did remove the messages but
I noticed some of the PST's that it created were extremely large. those
large PST's were opened in Outlook and messages that I didn't want
extracted had been extracted. All the uninfected items that I didn't
want extracted had some form of word hi in the subject (eq: China). I
had to manually delete the infected messages and move the uninfected
messages back into each individual mailbox. I also changed the criteria
for Exmerge to only pull messages with attachments of gone.scr and no
subject and it seems like the same thing happened. Is there a way to
have Exmerge only move messages of an exact subject that I define. Also,
can Exmerge move items from public Folders? I noticed certain public
folder have the infected item within them and I would like to have them
removed as well. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!!!

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at: