Title: Message

How to manually uninstall Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange

Situation:
In the event of a failed installation of Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange (NAVMSE), it may be necessary to manually remove the program to install NAVMSE cleanly.

Solution:
This document provides detailed instructions for manually removing all NAVMSE components from:

  • Microsoft Exchange
  • Mail control panel
  • The registry
  • The hard drive
  • The Start menu

NOTES:
  • The steps provided in this document should be used only in circumstances where NAVMSE cannot be uninstalled through conventional means.
  • You must stop the NAVMSE service before uninstalling.

To remove the NAVMSE public folder and mailbox from Microsoft Exchange:
    1. Double-click the Inbox icon on the desktop.
    2. Login with the NAVMSE account.

    NOTE: If you were not prompted to login with a particular profile, then click the File menu, and then click Exit and Log Off. Open Inbox again, and then login with the NAVMSE account.

    3. Double-click Public Folders in the left window.
    4. Double-click All Public Folders.
    5. Delete the NAVMSE public folder.
    6. Click the File menu, and then click Exit and Log Off.

To remove the NAVMSE mailbox from Exchange:
    1. Open the Microsoft Exchange Administrator.
    2. Click Recipients at the bottom of the left pane.
    3. Delete the NAVMSE mailbox in the right pane.

    NOTE: If you do not see the NAVMSE mailbox, then click the View menu, and then click Hidden Recipients.

To remove the NAVMSE mail profile:
    1. Open the Control Panel, and then click Mail.
    2. Click Show Profiles.
    3. Select the Norton AntiVirus for Exchange profile, and then click Remove.

To remove NAVMSE from the registry:

CAUTION: We strongly recommend that you back up your system registry before making any changes. Incorrect changes to your registry could result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Please make sure you modify only the keys specified. Please see How to Back Up Your Windows Registry before proceeding.
    1. Open the Registry Editor.
    2. Delete the following registry keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\NAVMSE
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NavExchange
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Norton Antivirus for Microsoft Exchange

To remove NAVMSE from the hard drive:
    1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Delete the C:\Program Files\NAVMSE folder.
    3. Delete the following file:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Navmse.isu
    4. If NAVMSE is the only Symantec program installed on the computer, then you may also delete the following folders:
    • C:\Program Files\Symantec
    • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

To remove NAVMSE from the Start menu:
    1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Delete the following folder:

    C:\WINNT\Profies\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange

Separator

Product(s): Norton AntiVirus for MS Exchange 1.0, Norton AntiVirus for MS Exchange 2.0
Operating System(s):
Document ID: 1998112417220548