From: John Armstrong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 11:06 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 5.5 - Configure for Broad Band Cable Modem

Hello Exchange List...

This is my first posting, so please
excuse the length of message.

We have been using NT Small Business Server 4.5
with Exchange 5.5 and the POP3 extensions for
more than a year with excellent results.

        Dial-Up Modem / ISDN & recently Cable Modem
        to our corporate mail server have all worked.

Our local office user base has increased and we have
moved to a brand new installation of Windows 2000
and the full product Exchange 5.5 (SP4).

We have setup an Internet Mail Service, but with a cable modem
scenario we oviously don't have a dial-up connection to configure...
and in SBS the POP3 extension handled this area quite happily.

We can Send e-Mails to external addresses and internal addresses.

However, we just cannot get Exchange to poll the Corporate server
to collect inbound Mail for us.

In simplified terms for a non-Exchange person - What information
should we ask our mail-server colleagues for; how & where should we
then configure this and in practical terms have we missed something obvious?

If you think Exchange 2000 is a better option for a clean install we
are ready to move and work with that product...

I just cannot seem to find simplified step-by-step instructions for either
Exchange 5.5 or 2000.

Any help and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

John Armstrong
MCSE MCT

List Charter and FAQ at: