We have a developer who had written a program that runs in UNIX (Of which I
know nothing about) to monitor specific things on our imaging system and
page one of us fortunate systems folks for specific errors on the system. He
also wants to provide us with a way to send an e-mailed response to a
designated mail account if the problem does not require immediate response,
but service can be delayed. His program would search the mail for key text
or specific characters that would tell it wether or not to escalate the
issue or put it aside. Is there a way to do this directly from the mail
server? Also - another alternative I guess, would be to install the Outlook
client on a machine and set up a rule to save these messages to a text file
that his program could search. I didn't see any rules in Outlook 2000 that
would enable us to do that. Does Microsoft provide a way to customize your
own rules? We are running Exchange 5.5, SP4 on an NT4, SP6a system. Thanks.

Shamika Fehr
Systems Analyst III
Secretary of State of Texas
(512) 463-5683