I run it now.  I didn't for 3 years.  Things are getting hotter in the virus
code department.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Peitzke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 9:01 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: File-level anti-virus on Exchange server?

I'm wondering whether we should be running our file-level anti-virus
software on our Exchange server.  We run Antigen for the email AV, and would
exclude the Exchange mdbdata & dsadata directories from the file scanning if
we did, as I know AV can corrupt the database or directory.  The idea is to
protect that server from infection channels other  than email which Antigen
handles.

I don't think there's much risk of non-email infection in that server which
is dedicated to email, and Antigen only on that server is probably adequate.

But I wanted opinions from more experienced Exchange admins.

(E55/SP3 on NT4/SP6a)

Bob Peitzke
Information Systems Manager
Sander A. Kessler & Associates