Please correct me if I'm wrong but you MUST have a
recovery server in order properly restore you dir.edb.

I just went through this same situation.

If you just reinstall the whole NT server box from the
ground up you won't have the same SIDS and the
directory service will NOT start!

Your suppose to setup the recovery server as a BDC or
member server on the domain so you can get a correct
copy of the SAM first, the restore your *.edb files.

To me, in my situation with running SBS, this cant be
done. Cause under SBS you only can set it up as a PDC,
so how could I setup a recovery server with 2 PDC's on
the same network?

Question, how does MS view the license status of a
recovery server? Technicaly if it has to go online to
pull the SAM, it needs it own new licenese while doing
so correct? Or <I'd hope> this would be an exception?

Thanks....

Howie

--- Martin Blackstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>