From: Bob Peitzke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 16:45
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Question on attachment filtering

We are using Antigen 6.2 on our Exchange 5.5 server, with a set of filters
for risky file types.  We've been getting complaints from users about our
filtering of  "*.htm" attachments, and I'd like to get some advice on the
value of this filter, or risk of disabling it.  It seems a lot of our users'
business partners send them html attachments.  Trying to get them to change
their ways would be about as frustrating as trying to get the Bush
administration to prioritize the environment over energy revenue.

Couldn't a scumbag e-terrorist embed a virus in an html file, and send it as
an attachment that would get executed upon opening it, thus spreading the
virus?

And while we're on this subject, if we do continue filtering *.htm,
shouldn't we also filter *.html and maybe *.chm?

What are you guys doing in your shops?

Cheers,

- Bob

Bob Peitzke