Why do you think that local management and replication will require you
to add them as a sub-domain? You will be adding replication traffic with
the additional domain, not removing it. Don't forget that you've got to
have a GC at the site for Exchange. And the amount of traffic for
replication isn't really that big.

As to management, that's what the OU is for.

Whoa, wait a second. I just reread what you said. You are going to have
a DC at the office but not an Exchange Server? And you are worried about
replication traffic? Replication traffic is going to be less than a
percent of the mail traffic that you'll receive. And authentication
traffic will be just as low. And you are only adding complexity by
adding the domain, Exchange would be easy!

If they've got to have local authentication, just stick a set of servers
and make it a new site.

As to the specifics of your question, yes, it's actually easy to do. But
to do so requires that you have an understanding of Exchange and the AD.
And to be able to decide that a new domain is needed, you need more
understanding of Exchange and the AD.

I'm not kidding, if you are having problems understanding how to extend
Exchange to an additional domain, you really shouldn't be adding the
domain, there are many other issues that you haven't even seen yet.