From: Mike Zatkalik [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 8:09 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: mail-enabled contact...(Revisited and rephrased)

After rereading my previous message I realized that I didn't say what I was trying to do correctly, and hoped to run it by you guys again.  My real problem is that I don't understand completely the idea of how a mail-enabled contact works.

INFO:

mydomain.com              work domain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    work email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  home email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    (You guessed it, my bosses email)

Ok, without creating a user in AD, I want to create a mail-enabled contact called "ME" with external address of [EMAIL PROTECTED], internal is [EMAIL PROTECTED], created with every new "object" in AD.  There is NOT a user called "ME" nor any other reference to this name in AD.

If someone sends from an email address of [EMAIL PROTECTED], addressed to [EMAIL PROTECTED], will automatically forward the message on to [EMAIL PROTECTED]?  Or, as that TechNet articles sort of implies, you must create a user to forward to a mail-enabled contact?  If people are currently just having a mail-enabled contact, without a user/mailbox, have you read this somewhere, or did you just find that out and say, wow, cool that works?  During testing this theory, we found that it does work internally, however we are not live with this system, and the user database has already been "migrated" over with existing aliases and addresses.  (upgrading from BSDI 4.2 Sendmail with popper so mail is probably not going to be moved, most likely it will just be merged with new mail in OE via POP3.)

Sorry I didn't ask properly the first time, will try not to let it happen again.

TIA,

Mike