Title: Blocking UCE relaying

I am familiar with blocking UCE relaying on an Exchange  5.5 system but not in this particular example.

Typically I just:

go to the routing tab of the IMS,

click on the Routing Restrictions button

check "Hosts and clients with These IP addresses"

and verify nothing is listed in the list boxes

This works great in typical exchange environments. I have a customer who has a different setup. 90% of his clients are remote and connecting using POP3 clients. No VPN, no OWA. They typically connect using a local ISP and connect this way using a variety of e-mail clients. Different IP addresses each time. In this scenario, the above doesn't work.

My guess would be that you need to check the "Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate" check box. And have the clients configure authentication credentials in their e-mail client.

Since I haven't been in situation which required this before I thought I would run it past the list first.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA

Chris Bodnar

Network Engineer