I have two questions on performing maintenance on the IS:

We have Exchange 5.5, SP4 on NT4 SP6a and the IS seems to be growing about 1gb every other month even though the number of mailboxes has not changed significantly and the storage in each mailbox has actually decreased.  I have a 100gb storage limit set, the deleted item retention date is 3 days and IS Maintenance automatically set to run every day.  I remember reading about dead/white space in the IS that needs to be cleaned out, but if I remember correctly the IS maintenance is supposed to do that.  Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can do/check &/or a good web site to read up on it?

Second question relates to the number of files in a directory - the ..imcdata\in\archive has some 125,000 files in it.  They appear to be old messages.  Does this need to be cleared out or is there some other maintenance I should be performing.

Thanks in advance.
List Charter and FAQ at: