From: Toni, Randy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 11:24 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: OWA Ports

this debate pops up a lot.  I had OWA in the DMZ once.  On the last upgrade
(NT to win2K) it went back into the trusted.  It only ever ran SSL.  I heard
more arguments for keeping it inside than for putting it in the DMZ.  I
think that punching all the requisite holes in the DMZ to accomodate OWA
makes the entire DMZ pretty flaky.  I'd like to put some kind of IDS on it
(like secureIIS) but I've heard some bad things about the MS lockdown tool
and URLscan.

Let me throw in a twist - what if the DMZ can be dedicated solely to OWA?  I
ask because that's happening here now.  We're contracting out whatever
Intranet services we had in the DMZ and the wire may be empty.  If this is
the case, is in not maybe safer back out there?  There are literally no
other DMZ systems that can be hacked and used to take advantage of the open
OWA ports.  Of course OWA can be hacked itself, but that same probablility
exists in the internal lan, where it can see everything full-bore.

Is my logic twisted or does this (rare) circumstance of "OWA-only" make any
difference in the approach?  Or am I thinking too much about this again?

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at: