Incase anyone is interested in the notes.

Switching DR Exchange server with Production server

1.      Full tape backup of the MS Directory and IS performed at 10pm est.
Will take approximately 2 hours to complete.  Outage scheduled for 12am est.

2.      Production Server:  Windows 2000 Server SP2 SR1, MS Exchange 5.5
SP4.  Make sure that the DR server has the exact same service packs for both
Windows 2000 and MS Exchange.
3.      Backup completed at 11:47pm.  Preparing to bring down the production
Exchange server.  (Company notified 48, 12, and 6hrs prior to scheduled
outage)
4.      Remove Production Exchange server from the domain.  Run Replication
Manager to sync this change across the network (You can also run Srvr
Manager if you have a mix node environment).  Waited approximately 15 mins
before adding the DR server to the production domain. (Technically not
necessary but did it as a precaution)
5.      Added the DR Exchange server to the production domain. Ran
Replication Manager again to synch the change across the network.
6.      Install MS Exchange 5.0.  Run setup\I386\Setup.exe
7.      Select Custom Installation:  Check the following options:  MS
Exchange Server, MS Exchange Administrator.
8.      Enter the CD-KEY
9.      Select Licensing Mode:   Per Seat and click Continue
10.     Select 'Create a new site'
11.     Organization Name =
12.     Site Name =
13.     Organization Name and Site Name must be the same as the one on the
original Exchange server.
14.     Enter service account and service account password
15.     Setup will not begin installing MS Exchange 5.0 Enterprise Edition.
16.     Once MS Exchange 5.0 has been installed you will be asked to run the
Performance Optimizer.  Click 'Run Optimizer' (all Exchange services are
stopped while Performance Optimizer is being run)
17.     Move the Exchange server files to the following location:
a.      Private Info Store              E:\exchsrvr\mdbdata
b.      Public Info Store               E:\exchsrve\mdbdata
c.      Info Store Logs         E:\exchsrve\mdbdata
d.      Directory Service               E:\exchsrve\dsadata
e.      Directory Service Logs  E:\exchsrve\dsadata
f:      Message Transfer Agent  E:\exchsrve\mtadata
18.     Once Performance Optimizer has complete open Exchange Administrator.
19.     In Exchange Admin connect to:  RKAWA1EX02
20.     Upgrade to MS Exchange 5.5 (if you have an Enterprise Version of 5.5
then you would do the above using your 5.5 CD.  We only have a 5.5 upgrade
CD so we had to do the steps above again.  Not pleasant!
21.     Install MS Exchange Service Pack 4.
22.     Restore MS Directory first from Tape backup.  Make sure you
Inventory and Catalog the tape prior to performing the restore. (We use
Veritas Backup Exec 8.6)
23.     Once restore has completed, stop/start the MS Directory service.
Error:  Event ID 1067:  The process terminated unexpectedly.
This behavior can occur on a recovery server or on a server you use for
testing purposes because the Edb.log file that is created during a restore
operation from backup interferes with the recovery process when the restore
operation is finished.
Resolution:
To resolve this behavior, manually remove the existing data in the Dsadata
folder before starting the restore operation from backup.

NOTE : If you delete the Edb.log file to restart the directory service, run
eseutil with the /g /v /x /ds options to ensure that this deletion does not
introduce errors into the directory.

24.     Once the existing data in the Dsadata folder was deleted the MS
Directory was restored a second time.
25.     MS Directory started successfully.
26.     Run the restore process for the Information Store from tape backup.
27.     Once restore has completed make sure that the MS Exchange Directory
services has started successfully.
28.     Run the isinteg patch:  c:\exchsrvr\bin\isinteg -patch
29.     Starting MS Exchange Information Store...
30.     MS Exchange Information Store has started successfully.
31.     Stop the MS Exchange Info Store service.
32.     Run the isinteg patch:  c:\exchsrvr\bin\isinteg -patch (MS Exchange
Information Store Integrity checker)
33.     The Information Store has been successfully updated.
34.     Restart the MS Exchange Info Store service.
35.     Test opening a few mailboxes to ensure that emails are present.
36.     Exchange server is now up and running.

Total time of entire process:           2hours 45 mins.