From: MHR(Michael Ross) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 1:36 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Can someone settle this....

Taken right from the outlook 2002 white paper:
Cancelable Server Request
Outlook has a new dialog box that shows the user when Outlook is waiting on a response from the Microsoft Exchange Server or Active Directory Global Catalog server. This dialog has a Cancel request button so users can cancel the request and continue to use Outlook.
Users who do not want the dialog box to be displayed on screen can use the check box to minimize it. This dialog does not necessarily indicate a problem condition - just that the server has failed to respond to a request by Outlook in a specified amount of time.
Change the Timeout of the Cancelable RPC Dialog
If the Cancelable RPC dialog appears too often on a slow link and interferes with the user's ability to work, change the default timeout value so that the dialog does not appear as often. Changing the amount of time until the server communication times out is done by altering the Exchange Server Settings. Exchange Server Settings are altered in the same way described in the Choose the Connection Type at Start Up section.

Microsoft tried to remove as many RPC's as they could to increase performance of the application.
They couldn't actually remove them, so they changed it so the RPC's only show up when called upon.. On slow links you see this message box more.