Title: Shrink 5.5 database
If this recovery server is on the network and another PC or Server is available with at least 35GB you can map a drive to it and then run the defrag.  This works and is approved my MS.  I have only seen it ask if the recovery server was a Win2k and the original server was NT4.  This is why I had to do it.  I went from 35GB to 5GB.

George
-----Original Message-----
From: Crosby, Tim (Sarcom) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 4:12 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Shrink 5.5 database

We are attempting to setup a test environment and do a restore of our 5.5 server from tape.  We got database and directory restored to a test server, but when I try to start the IS, it tells me I have to do a defrag.  Problem is, my IS is about 35GB and I only have about 15GB of free space to work with on my test server.  So the defrag runs out of space before it completes.  I don't have the option of putting any more drives in this server, it is maxed out.

Can't I use exmerge or something like that to strip out some of the larger attachments in the store so that I can shrink it down enough to finish the defrag?  I don't really need all the mail, I just want a working server.  Or does the store have to be running to run exmerge?

List Charter and FAQ at:
List Charter and FAQ at: