From: Bill Dodd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 2:39 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Using Outook to Schedule a resouce

 I am relatively new to the exchange world. I have a user( a real pain in
the butt user) that is wanting to provide a schedule of when a conference
room is planning to be used and when it is not. Below is what she sent me.
What do you guys think. Is there any reason I should not do this or should
not. Will it eat up a license in exchange? Is there another simpler way to
do it?

  Thanks

I have been asked by the Focus Group to setup a schedule for both the
upstairs and downstairs conference rooms.  I have read about resource
scheduling in Outlook.  This is what I have found.

Outlook 2000 returns to the old Schedule+ way of directly book resources
without the need for a script or delegate. Create a mailbox for the
resource, then use Outlook 2000 (not an earlier version!) to log directly
into the resource mailbox and set the Resource Scheduling options in Tools |
Options | Calendar Options. Create a single item in the calendar to make
sure that something shows up in its free/busy time for you to check. Also
grant the Author role on the Calendar folder to everyone you want to be able
to book the resource. The easiest way to do this is with a distribution list
in the Global Address List.

The clients must do all booking through Outlook 2000. On the Attendee
Availability tab of a meeting request, click Invite Others to add one or
more resources to the Resources box.  Make sure you add them as resources.
If you add them as required or optional attendees, the resources will not be
automatically booked.

TIP: Using your Exchange Server administration tool, set the mailbox to not
accept messages from anyone. (A distribution list or group is good for
this.) That way, if users forget and add the resource as a required or
optional attendee, the request will bounce back to them from the resource
mailbox.

If you choose more than one resource -- such two comparable conference rooms
-- you can click AutoPick and have it find the next available time for
either resource.

Could you please look into to this and let me know if this or any other way
is possible?  For all I know we already have something like this setup...

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at: