I was performed same procedure three months ago (without /R option).
Good luck.

Mirek

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Armstrong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 7:10 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Rebuilding an Exchange 5.5 Server

Hello Guys,

I have a server that keeps blue screening after the admin installed some
apps. I have been unable to get the server started successfully. I tried
using last known good config, I tried repairing the install using an old
repair disk and also without the repair disk, everything fails. I am at the
point where I am set to rebuild the OS, reinstall exchange and try to
recover as much data as possible. The drives are intact and I can access the
exchange data. I was reading thru the exchange disaster recovery whitepaper
to find the best solution for this issue, but I am a little confused. From
what I am reading I plan on doing the following. Reinstall NT 4.0 on the
failed server (as a new install), update to the latest service pack, install
Exchange, install the latest service pack, copy over the priv & pud .edb
files as well as dir.edb and then run isinteg -patch and then start the
services.

I would do a restore from last nights backup, but I cant for two reasons:1)
one the backup failed last night so the last good backup would either be
from Monday or Friday; 2) I want to recover as much email as possible since
the last good backup (Monday or Friday).

The point where I am confused is if I would be installing exchange regularly
or using the /R option for both the setup & update files. I will be using
the same server name, I will be using the same site & organization name
(once I figure out what they were). The OS before the blue screens was
NT4.0SP6a (BDC) running Exchange 5.5 SP4. As stated before, the data is
still intact so after I re-install NT, I can access that data and move it to
a safe location for use when I reinstall exchange. I have never had to
perform a recovery this way before so I am unsure if this is the correct
procedure or not. Are there any faults in what I listed, or is this the
right way to go. Please response with your advice. Thanks in advance!
.+-

@Aﵫaퟀ0    z[lpjo겥Z\楅zm

---
Príchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry. (Kontrolovano na serveru)

Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

List Charter and FAQ at: