i have a dell 6400 with dual XEON (2 mb) 933 processors with 2 gigs of ram with 7 har drives - 2 raid 1 for os - 3 raid 5 for database - 2 raid 1 for logs - and i house about 2000 users with exchange 2000.  works real well for us!

Bob C.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 7:44 PM
Subject: 2000 server sizing.

We have finally implemented AD and are now looking into migrating to E2K. Currently I have 7 boxes set up to handle Exchange 5.5.

5 for user mailboxes (about 500 users each)

1 for Public Folders

1 for IMS

I have posted before asking if anyone was using Exchange 2000 in a clustering or SAN configuration. I seem to remember that some had said that they found a benefit to connecting to the SAN but that there seemed to be a consensus that Exchange did not really do well in a clustering environment for a site of 2500 users. Is this correct?

That being the case I am looking at bringing E2k up on a Dell 4600 2GHz/512k XEON with 2GB memory and 4x74GB RAID drives. Has anyone had any experience running Exchange on that type of hardware and size? Also, when I first brought up my 5.5 site we were told to keep it at about 500 mailboxes per server. Do I still need to follow that with 2000?

I know that there are a lot of variables and that there is no one right setup for everyone, but I am going in the right direction?

Ken Powell
Systems Administrator
Clark County Office of Budget and Information Services (OBIS)
Vancouver, Washington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (360) 397-6121 x4658
Fax: (360) 759-6001