Just backing up the IS, and not the mailboxes as well.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Beckett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 2:45 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Backups

So how are you doing your backups now?

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Majetic, John RAME [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Thursday, June 06, 2002 2:42 PM
        To:     MS-Exchange Admin Issues

        I was doing brick level backups for quite a while. Never had a
problem with
        them, Never really had to use them, but I had the tape space, so
figured
        what the hell?

        Well about two weeks ago after doing them for three years with out a
hitch,
        suddenly they stopped working. Couldn't back up a one of them.

        Just for grins, I tried to restore a mailbox from a recently fired
employee,
        and guess what it didn't work. I have done this on a regualar basis
as part
        of my DR planning, and never had a problem.

        I made no changes to the server in weeks if not months, but suddenly
nothing
        works. Before subscribing to this list I would have been in a big
panic, but
        now I just turned them off. I think this shows just how unreliable a
BLB
        backup is.

        John Majetic