We ran into an interesting problem the other day and I'm wondering how others have
configured their E2k (sp2) option of "Do not permanently delete mailboxes and items
until the store has been backed up".  I'm thinking of unchecking the box but am
wondering what the repercussions are.

We currently have set 21 days on deleted items, 30 days on deleted mailboxes, Box is
checked for "do not permanently delete...", and we have limits on all mailboxes
currently ranging from 20 to 100MB.

The problem we had was that after a personnel shuffle (several account renames), after
a few days the final leftover user account was deleted by the account operator,
including home directory, roaming profile, and E2k mailbox.  Within a few hours the
department who'd had that user previously called up and said "we have a temporary
person here and would like them to have access to the previous person's files and
mailbox".  Account operator comes to me :)

So, we decided in this case we could create a new user account, restore the files, and
reset permissions.  But, I went to reconnect the E2k mailbox and although it was on
the list, it did not have a red X and I did not have the option to reconnect.  It had
been several hours since the user deletion, but I went ahead and synchronized our DCs
and updated RUS.  Even after another hour there were no changes.  I guessed that it
was not being "permanently" deleted because the backup hadn't occurred yet.  Sure
enough, the next day I had the reconnect option available.

I checked the MS support site, but couldn't find this as a known issue--anyone have a
link?  How do others have this option configured?  I think with our other retentions
we would be safe to turn this off.  And, what safety net does this really give me if I
can't recover before the backup?

Thanks,
Bonnie Miller

List Charter and FAQ at: