From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 12:16 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Exchange on DC?

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, at 1:49pm, Herchenbach, Jim wrote:
> I know it's not recommended, but can Exchange 2k be installed on a DC?

  It will install.  It will even work, sort of.  But, from practical
experience, I can tell you that it does not work well.  We did this with
one of our small customers in a single-server environment.  We figured,
"Hey, if Small Business Server does it, why can't we?"  Well, all sorts
of funky things happened.  Confusing message dialogs, lots of errors in
the Event Log, etc.  Spent a lot of time in the MS PSS Knowledge Base.
We even called PSS on a few issues.  They all resolved to, "You can
ignore that; Exchange will sometimes generate that error in a
single-server environment."

  Basically, Microsoft told us Exchange is not designed to run on an
Domain Controller.  Not in so many words, but that is what it amounted
to.  I got the distinct impression that the only reason it is supported
at all is that otherwise, they would not be able to sell Small Business
Server, and Microsoft management will not allow that.

  I hate it when companies pull crap like that.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| The opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do
| not | necessarily represent the views or policy of any other person,
| entity or  | organization.  All information is provided without
| warranty of any kind.  |

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at: