I kept that one, too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Schwartz, Jim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 11:57 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Compacting

If you want some in depth reading about it see below. Ed Woodrick wrote
this and posted to another list a few months back.

<Ed comments>
First in looking at the arguments, it helps to understand what you are
arguing. Somewhat as stated, your team is right defragmentation should
be done on a regular basis. It reduces the number of extensions on
messages, but more importantly makes it faster and easier to find free
space to store the messages.

Exchange's database is just like any current art database. It's a
transaction oriented, journal led write database. Nothing really
spectacular about it, regular database maintenance is all that is really
needed. So you can easily go to a DBA and get suggestions on how to best
care for a database.

In most large database products, take SQL for example, as you create a
database, you give it an initial size and then specify if the database
is extensible or not and if so, how big is an extension. A common
default that I use is 50MB for the initial size and 5MB extensions. Then
on a regular basis, the database should be defragmented, and then, once
in a blue moon you might want to reload the database, although it's not
often done anymore.

That's the same with Exchange, you want to defragment the database
regularly and then reload it on a extremely rare, probably never basis.

Sounds good?

Install Exchange 5.5 and let it do it's thing and that's what you've
got. Nightly, the system makes two runs through each database to
defragment it. It also runs through each page of the database to make
sure that the checksum is correct as you perform a backup. And I believe
that another process goes through and validate the structure
periodically.

So why run eseutil/d?  Well, when I was talking about databases growing,
noticed I never said shrinking. SQL doesn't shrink a database, neither
does Exchange. Biggest reason is because there really isn't a need for
it in most cases. How many people hear of their total storage
decreasing? It's usually at least a 5-10% a year increase. But, there
are situations where indeed your database could decrease dramatically.
That would be if you put a new storage policy into effect, although with
the dumpster it could be a few weeks before the messages are actually
deleted and SIS can also impact it. Or if you've added a new server and
moved users to it. There are a variety of reasons why you would have
gained a lot of white space in your database.

The question that you need to ask yourself is "are you going to use it
again?" If you've deleted some users or objects and you've created 1-%
additional white space, just how long do you expect it to be before the
space fills back up? If it's a few months, don't worry about it. I tend
to make a few GB or 10% of the total store, whichever is higher, the
number at which I even start thinking about repacking. I saw last night
that I've got 50MB of white space in one of my DBs. It's not even on the
radar screen to be compacted. If I had 5GB of white space on a 50GB
database, then I might start looking for a window to compact it. But
remember that it's going to take a few hours of downtime to do it.

Eseutil /d is really a misnomer, a hangover from earlier days. For
Exchange 5.5 and later, it really should be eseutil /c or "compact"
While it does an applied defragmentation, the database is seldom
fragmented, because it is defragmented twice every evening.

Oh, and if you do compactions on a regular basis to the same disk, you
are probably going to get some ugly NTFS fragmentation.

(And yes Daniel, if you compact your database, the system is going to
take extra overhead to have to expand the database. And compared to
writing a single object, I suspect that it's a rather lengthy process.
Okay, it's probably a hundredth of a second, but when you compare it to
ill-advised behavior like compacting regularly, at least it make sense)

But the real reason why not to do it is like everyone has said, there is
nothing to be gained, and a lot to be lost. It is NOT REQUIRED and NOT
SUGGESTED to obtain 99.999% uptime. Matter of fact, doing it brings you
down to about 99.5% uptime, just taking 4 hours per month.

As to making an Exchange Server reach 100% uptime, the equation is
pretty simple....

Keep the Hands Off!!!!!

(This assume nightly full backups and verification that the backup ran
--VERY important!)