Plain text is for hard core paranoids like me and not dull ;-)

If you're on a dialup line #4 is a big issue, also #4 is once you look
at the source code of HTML mails created with a certain mail client.
Sometimes the item is double in size :-( I don't need a 10kb mail with a
short notice which would be 1kb if plain text...

The real issue with web bugs is that once you red the message even in
preview your mail address has been confirmed and the SPAM'ers are happy
to sell your confirmed address for $5 to get you flooded with their fine
mails ;-)

Also, Yahoo! For example uses Web beacons to track the usage of their
groups. Each message contains a sponsor footer which actually tracks
your TCP/IP to keep Yahoo! informed who is using this group :-0