From: Belbin Clive (5K9) Croydon PCT
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 09 July 2002 13:40
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Public folder administration access problem.

The new e-mail address for the Croydon Primary Care Trust is now "
@croydonpct.nhs.uk ".
Please edit your address book appropriately.

Hi All,

I'm having difficulty getting administrative access to part of the Public
Folders tree - I've given myself more access permissions than you could
shake a stick at through Exchange Admin and waited several days to see if it
makes any difference but it doesn't.

Caveats first - I'm the fireman here, I had no part in creating the
situation!

We have Organisation A containing Site A containing two servers. Server A is
NT4 SP5, Exch 5.5 SP3. Server B is NT4 SP6, Exch 5.5 SP4. Server A is our
mail gateway. 80% of our mailboxes are on Server A and 20% of our mailboxes
are on Server B.

Server B has recently been added to the site and mailboxes have been
imported into it from PSTs which in turn were exports of mailboxes from
Server X (NT4 SP6, Exch 5.5 SP4).

The problem exists in Organisation A.

The Hierarchy in public folders, seen through OL97 client, is thus:

Public Folders
        |___ Favorites
        |___ All Public Folders
                |___ Internet Newsgroups
                |       |___ {several appointments containers}
                |___ Quarantine Folder {blah}

I can rename "All Public Folders" but I can't create subfolders directly in
it - when I click OK in the create subfolders dialogue, I get a "... do not
have sufficient permission...see folder contact or system administrator..."
message.
I am a system administrator.
In properties of All Public Folders there is no contact listed, so I
couldn't contact them even if I thought it would help.
I can create subfolders of the Internet Newsgroups folder.
The symptoms are the same when using the OL2K client.
I have tried running DS/IS Consistency Adjuster on both servers. On Server A
I get a number of messages of the form "The description for Event ID (xxxx)
in Source ( xxxxxxxxxxx) could not be found. It contains the following
insertion string(s): {blah}".
Server B is able to find Event descriptions.
Consistency Adjuster generates Event IDs 7024, 7040 and 7042 on server A,
Event IDs 7024,7028, 7040 and 7017 on Server B.

On Server A,  the system event log contains a large number of event 10003s :
"Access denied attempting to launch a DCOM Server using
DefaultLaunchPermssion. The server is: {?class? string in here}."

It may or may not be relevant but Server X is not as yet connected in any
way to Organisation A, but I would like to connect in order to migrate the
Public folders of Organisation X to Organisation A using inter-organisation
replication.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be (not) happening here?

Clive Belbin,
Systems Support Contractor,
Croydon Primary Care Trust.

solely for the use of the individual to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error please notify the Health
Informatics Service (Croydon Primary Care Trust)  020 8401 3900 or 020 8680
2008 Ext 212.

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at: