From: Kurt Buff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 1:35 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Setting up RPC-HTTPS

On 1/24/08, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Kurt,
>
> I have followed the amset dozens of times and petri at least that
many.
> Works perfectly each time unless I fat finger something.

That's something I'm perfectly capable of, and do many times a day. Heh.

> I assume on the DC you selected in the name you have the RPC Proxy
> installed.  You have confirmed the perms on the IIS for it.  Have you
> confirmed the ssl cert is enabled for the rpc in iis under the site
you
> have the ssl cert installed on.

No, the RPC Proxy is on the Exchange server. I've selected Properties
for the RPC virtual directory, and under Directory Security/Secure
Communications, both "Require secure channel (SSL)" and the
sub-checkbox "Require 128-bit enryption" are selected. However, in
review, I note that the same is not true for the web site itself.
Should that be selected? I don't think so, but am not expert in that.

> If the RPC server you specify in Outlook is not matching the
certificate
> name you installed then it will not connect over RPC.  IF you ping the
> external name of the cert does it resolve internally to your Exch
> server.  If not fix that with DNS then try it.

DNS is fine - it resolves both internally and externally, with split
DNS.

> Are there any event logs in the DC or the Exchange server when you
> attempt to connect?

Gad - that's something I'll have to check tomorrow.

> BY chance do you have Sharepoint Services or Server running on the
> Exchange server or the DC?  If so have you excluded the rpc virtual
> directory path from SP.  If not SP takes over and ruins your life..  A
> common issue with the error from RPCping, " Client is not authorized
> ping RPC proxy"

None of that in our environment. However, we do still have ADC
running, for our old Exchange 5.5 servers.

Kurt