From: Andrew McLaren [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:25 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Migrated Server, Clients Cached Addresses

Our environment is Windows SBS 2003 with Outlook 2003 clients. 65 users.

Over the weekend, I installed a fresh SBS installation onto new hardware
(new domain, new hostname) and used ExMerge to copy the mailboxes to the
new server. All seemed to be going well ... until Monday morning. Our
external mail seems to be working fine, but internal mail is returning a
lot of NDRs:

SAMPLE NDR
'joe bloggs' on Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:32:54 +0200
     The message could not be delivered because the recipient's
destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address
and try again, or contact your system administrator to verify
connectivity to the email system of the recipient.

OTHER INFO FROM THE NDR
Final-Recipient: RFC822;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Action: failed

After some reading about this issue I believe that it is caused by
Outlook's cached most-recently-used-address list which somehow stores
Active Directory information (from the old retired server) instead of an
actual email address (seems like a daft idea to me). When a user starts
a new email and just types the first few letters of the recipient's
name, Outlook fills in the rest of the name. Exchange then rejects the
email.

What can I do? Thanks guys / gals!

Regards,

Andrew McLaren