From: Robb Pickinpaugh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 9:03 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Sluggish performance of Mail Store, Server sitting mostly idle

I have a really odd behavior pattern happening here and I'm sort of at a loss
as to how to fix it.

All of the sudden starting toward the end of last week (Thursday or Friday) the
mail store seems to be acting "funny".

Outlook connections all over the building are popping the "Trying to retrieve
information" message.

To the point where just changing folders in the mailbox can take up to 30
seconds or so.

This morning I tried to delete about 1800 messages from a folder in my mailbox
and it's taken about 30 minutes and still not done, if the MS status bar is
right it will have taken about 40 minutes to delete those messages, and thats
just moving them to the deleted items bin, not a shift-delete.

Pertinent data:
Exchange 2003 SP2

Windows 2003 SP1
2 Dual Core 2.8Ghz Processors
4GB Ram

Mailbox & Public folder store is on a 4Gb Fiber Channel SAN
Priv1.mdb = 130GB
Priv1.stm = 51GB

We shutdown the system for maintenance on the SAN this weekend, and that
apparently has NOT solved the problem.

I need some advice as to where the look for the issue.

I've toyed with the idea of setting up a second store and migrating users to
the new store, but I'm not sure if that will help.

We have a possible archiving project in the future as well, but that's not
going to help right now.

I have mailboxes as large as 9.5 GB and as small as POP3 that don't leave
anything on the server.

To answer the inevitable question.. no the big mailbox users never delete
anything (hence the archiving project).

Suggestions, ideas?

TIA
Robb