> So then it's recommended to white list the Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, MSN,
> Verizon, Mindspring, Netzero, and Juno domains because they have so
> many mail servers?  If so, which others did I leave out?

It doesn't have to do with how many mail servers there are, but everything
with how they send mail out.  See
<http://www.greylisting.org/articles/whitepaper.shtml> for a detailed
description of the hows, whats, and whys or greylisting.

Two behaviors in particular from some large providers break greylisting:

1.) The resent mail comes from a different hostname/IP
2.) The resent mail comes with a different envelope From:

Note #2 is not even RFC821 compliant.

Look here for a list of hosts to whitelist
<http://cvs.puremagic.com/viewcvs/greylisting/schema/whitelist_ip.txt?rev=
1.16&view=markup>

Some of those I wouldn't even bother (do you really want to be getting
mail from joker.com?)

Note hotmail/live.com and many other very large providers aren't on the
list.  One can infer that neither of these types of retry behavior isn't
necessary for solving scalability issues.

~JasonG