From: Kurt Buff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:48 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Book Recommendation

All,

Post this to both the Exchange and NT lists....

Right before leaving for my trip to the UK, I got my copy of 'The
Practice of System and Network Administration, Second Edition', by
Limoncelli, Hogan and Chalup. Find it here:

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0321492668

in the US, and here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-System-Network-Administration/dp/032149
2668/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203440319&sr=8-1

in the UK - beware of wrappage, of course.

I started reading it during the flight, and have been reading it at
breakfast and during the hour or so between work and sleep that I have.

I'm at page 399 out of 1011 (including index), and have 8 slips of paper
so far, and many page markings, as reminders for followups with both
junior staff and management. I plan on using the exercise questions at
the end of each chapter for team and individual work.

It's a somewhat expensive book, but worth far more to me already than
what I paid for it. I purchased 3 copies earlier for the people I lead,
in the expectation that it would be good, based on the first edition.
It's better than I expected. My manager said that I could expense them,
but I don't think I'm going to do that - I want them to own the book,
not have it be property of the company.

I supposed that many people on this list know much of what's in there,
but I can nearly guarantee you'll find something in there that you
didn't know, and you will almost certainly find that makes it worth your
purchase.

This book provides a framework for making a true profession of System
Administration, and I'm terribly glad I have my copy.

I can't give it any higher recommendation.

Kurt