From: Matthew McComas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:51 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: E2k03 to E2k07 upgrade question

We have a pretty basic Exchange 2003 environment that contains two servers.  A
small server holds OWA and Exchange wireless Activesync roles.  The big server
holds the mailbox server role, and also SMTP virtual server, etc.  We're
preparing for the Exchange 2k07 upgrade and we've taken the MS class for the
upgrade so we're pretty familiar with the process, however, I have a few
questions:

1.       What would be the best way to start the project?  My thought is to
simply install Exchange 2007 on the new hardware, add it to the current email
organization and start moving mailboxes.  The new environment will also hold
two servers-a CAS server, and then a mailbox server that will hold the other
Exchange roles.  We won't have an Edge Transport at first...we have an email
gateway set up already on a SPAM device that will host this role at first.

2.       I guess I'm just confused on what to do first.  Also, at what point we
need to configure the new SMTP routing roles.  I'd prefer to bring the new
Exchange into the environment gradually, and first move mailboxes to the
server, and slowly migrate the roles out of the old environment.

3.       I'm also a little confused as to when you can safely remove the old
environment...I assume once all rolls have been moved to E2k07, you simply
uninstall E2k03 out of the environment?

I have the MS Exchange upgrade class manual, so I can easily do some refresher
reading, but I just thought I'd run our upgrade scenario by a few colleagues to
get some feedback.

Thanks,
MM