I hate it when I post and then figure it out.  Oh well, for those that were
wondering - the fix was to run this on the mailbox servers:

Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED
Explained here:  http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/07/18/446400.aspx
Dang W2K3 SP2.

My main question remains - how do you see the mapi sessions within Exchange
2007?  Any enlightenment would be appreciated.