ja ja, I missed that bit for some reason.  You're of course right that
the problem is before that.

You proved already that DNS resolution and using the IP directly have
no effect, so there is some sort of stoppage or filtering. that is
taking place before thier mail server.  I'd do some networking tracing
to see if I couldnt target a specific network segment.