On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Joseph L. Casale
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > IMAP is out of the question, so I am stuck!
>
>   IMAP is really the way to go for this kind of thing.  IMAP is the
>  Internet standard for server-based mailbox access, same way that SMTP
>  is the Internet standard for mail transport.  Any chance you can get
>  that restriction re-thought?
>
>  -- Ben

While I agree that IMAP is a good standard, I come at it from a
different POV: Using IMAP denies individual use of certain features
that might be important to the enterprise. Certainly calendaring,
voting buttons, and some other goodies aren't going to be supported.
Joseph didn't state the customer culture or use case for his
environment, so I can't comment on that, but in my $job, we have a few
(literally - no more than 3) engineers who have been absolutely
adamant about using Linux to access our Exchange installation.

Sucks to be them - they get the web interface. In point of fact, I'm
still working towards a corporate environment where the standard tasks
(email/word processing/spreadsheets/etc.) will be done on Windows
machines, in a tightly controlled desktop environment where users are
local users, not local administrators. It's a long row to hoe, but I'm
starting to make headway. The flip side of that, though, is that the
engineers will have two machines, one on the corporate domain, the
other in a test/dev network that won't talk (except in tightly
controlled ways) to the corporate network. They'll have their own lab
manager for the things they do, though I'll probably still be on tap
for whatever help is needed.

Bottom line - no IMAP for you!

Different POV and business requirements is all.

Kurt