From: Michael B. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues <exchangelist@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:10:16 AM
Subject: RE: New to this List - Recovering Exchange Free Space Question

Is the only thing on the disk the exchange database?

How much actual whitespace is in the database? (You'll get that every morning
in an Application Event 1221 after online maintenance completes.) Unless it's
over 30%, I wouldn't even conceive of doing a defrag.

I would tend to buy a cheap RAID-1 USB disk, like from Lacie or StorageTek.
Hook it up. Mount a new database on the USB disk. Move all the mailboxes to it.
Drop the old database. Recreate it on the old disk. Move the mailboxes back.
Little to no downtime whatsoever.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
MCSE/Exchange MVP