We have a placeholder domain at the root of our forest. There are two dc's one
in AU and one in US. The AU one being the schema master.

We want to install exchange 2007 sp1 into our child domain which spans many
countries. Currently the RID and PDC roles are a win2k sp4 box. The
infrastructure master is a wind2k3 sp2 server and the domain function level is
windows 2000 native.

Currently AU hosts the only 2k7 server in the org. It works fine however we do
get 'The domain controller dc#.domain.com is running Windows 5.0 (2195)
(Unknown Service Pack). Exchange Active Directory Provider requires that domain
controllers are running Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later versions of
Windows' warnings.

I have used vmware to test installation of sp1 on our 2 exchange 2007 servers
with the 2 AU child dcs and the au root dc after some jigging with the schema
extensions in the root domain with the 32bit sp21. This process worked however
it is an isolated test as it doesn't talk to the rest of our dc's on the wan
being a test network.

I guess the thing im trying to figure now is whether we will have more issues
after sp1 is applied with windows 2000 dc's still hanging around and if it is
better to upgrade them to win2k3 sp2 first. There are 8 win2k dcs out of 15.

Anyone had any experience in a similar environment to this or could offer any
input, i'd be listening.

Thanks

Greg