Almost.

If eiter site goes down (and "goes down" means that the server with
the MX record doesn't respond on port 25), then all mail will route to
the other.  if both are down, mail will queu and eventually (normally
2 days for most defaults) expire.

But when both are up....you will see traffic on both. Not every MTA
obeys MX record weight, and often spammers won't.  You'll probably see
most of your trafic go to the primary record, though.

--James