I have several branch offices some of which have their own DC and some
do not.  However, they are all connected to the main office by a site to
site VPN.  Not sure how or if this would work with each workstation
using a VPN client. In the offices that do not have their own DC,
authentication is over the VPN to the main office.

We also have an Exchange server at the main office, and the branch
office users have Outlook set up to use Exchange over the VPN the same
as if they were physically in the same building. This has worked out
well - unless they lose Internet access or the VPN goes down.

But if you are going to have a file server there anyway, I would
recommend making it a DC so that authentication is local.  I am planning
to add DCs to my current serverless sites when we can afford it.
Sometimes implementing group policies, running logon scripts, deploying
software through active directory can be slow and difficult when there
is no local DC.