use the remove-exchangecertificate cmdlet to remove the cert that is
expired, if there is another cert available to be used for SMTP it will move
the role.  It's been a while so I can't remember if it will prompt you to
confirm that the smtp role is moving to the new cert or not, but it's
do-able.

-alex