I've been running Exchange 2007 on Windows 2003 in ESX since May 2007 with zero
problems.  I've got about 50 heavy mail users in a single 54GB store and it
performs very well.

I recently installed Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008 in ESX at a customer's site
for approximately 45 users.  Again, no issues and very good performance.

Exchange 2007 is a memory pig so make sure your VMware server has plenty of RAM.

-Jeff