PrepareBackup for every Writer is called prior to Freeze for any Writer. So,
if you've got three Writers, it'll go:

        PrepareBackup (1)
        PrepareBackup (2)
        PrepareBackup (3)
        Freeze (1)
        Freeze (2)
        Freeze (3)

The PrepareBackup phase allows asynchronous backup preparation to occur.
Like for Exchange, Exchange initiates a log flush and transfer. For NTFS,
the disks buffers are written to disk, but the Writer doesn't wait for the
I/O to complete.

It also allows a Writer to say "NO" to taking a backup right now, without
going through the overhead of a full Freeze. For example, Exchange will say
"no" during PrepareBackup if the last Exchange backup was an incremental
streaming backup. You can't mix streaming and VSS backups in Exchange. You
also can't have two backups on-going using the same Writer. This is enforced
by the Writer.

So, you may have an Exchange backup going on and a system-state backup going
on - that's perfectly OK. But you'll be prevented from having two system
state backups at the same time or having two backups of an Exchange storage
group at the same time.

In general, since I/O is still allowed between PrepareBackup and Freeze, it
gives the system an opportunity to quiesce.

[That's a technical term, I know Shookie will have to look it up.]

And thanks. :-)

Regards,

Michael B. Smith, MCITP:SA,EMA/MCSE/Exchange MVP
My blog: http://TheEssentialExchange.com/blogs/michael
I'll be at TEC'2009! http://www.tec2009.com/vegas/index.php